Friday, April 13, 2012

Raised bed vegetable garden; getting started

This season I have added some nylon twine to my raised beds for my peas and green beans. My dad and I strung this from the containers to the chain link fence to help guide them up vertically leaving the rest of the bed for more veggies. The twine is wrapped around screws drilled in the wooden raised bed and then strung around the fencing. Last year I used cotton like twine and it only made it one season. So hopefully this will give me at least 2 seasons. I used twine versus letting the beans grow on the chain link because this allows me to pick both sides and helps reduce the vines from getting burned in the summer when the metal fence heats up from the sun.

Here is a photo of the twine and the containers prior to planting.

Last weekend I was able to work the beds. I transplanted my green bean starts along the back of the bed to grow up the twine. I planted two rows. Last year I had peas planted in this first bed so I swapped beans into the first bed because beans do not like to grow where beans were previously grown.  In the front right are leeks that are still going strong from last year.

In the second raised bed I planted cauliflower in the first section. This is another plant that likes rotation. Last year I had broccoli in the very first container and since cauliflower and broccoli are in the cabbage family they should not be replanted in the same spot each year to help reduce disease and pest issues. In the second section I have leeks from last season and celery. Behind them are the green beans that will grow up the twine, this maximizes my space for veggies.

In the second section I planted more celery with the walla walla sweet onions still going from last season. The companion planting, planting celery next to onion, will help repel pests from the celery because onions naturally repel pests. Behind them I have pea seeds sowed directly into the soil. A few are just starting to poke their heads out.

Watering these beds will be from the soaker hoses I have strung along the entire garden. I plan to add a rain barrel later to also assist with watering. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment