Friday, April 13, 2012

Container Gardening

Container gardening is great for those who have small spaces to work with. I am trying my hand at it this season with some plastic containers I picked up at Goodwill for cheap. Here's how I have it set up.

1. Find a container large enough for the intended crop. This container was  $5 deal at Goodwill.

2. Drill holes for drainage. I used a drill to get pencil sized holes (1/4inch bit) in the bottom.

3. Fill with dirt. I went to the local bark and dirt place, Clackamas Landscape and Supply.  For $15.00 I got nearly 4 of these containers filled! A much better deal than buying by the bag which would have cost me at least $30.00. I really like this place because you can fill your own containers if you don't have a truck and they sell it by the 5 gallon bucket or by tractor scoops. I used the 4way garden soil. I used this soil last year and my plants LOVE it.

4. Plant ! I planted broccoli in my container and I plan to do containers with corn, and potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment