Thursday, May 3, 2012

Container Potatoes

How to start container potatoes... 

I do not have enough room in the garden to put potatoes in the ground so were getting creative ! Here's how I've done it. 

1. Start with some seed potatoes. I picked mine up from my local Wilco farm store. 

2. Bring your potatoes in and separate them out. You can plant the little ones, about the size of an egg, as they are, but the bigger ones you'll need to cut. 
 

3. Cut the larger ones separating the eyes (growing starts on potatoes) so that each piece has an eye. You'll plant them eyes up. 

 4. The perfect size is aprox. the size of an egg. See below for comparison. 


 5. Now you'll need a container to put them in. I used a plastic container from good will and drilled holes in it for drainage. 

 6. The soil: I filled my container 1/4 of the way full with the 4 way potting soil mix and some bark dust recycled from the chicken coop with the chickens fertilizer and left over saw dust from wood projects.  The potatoes do not like wet compact soil. So you may need to add more drainage holes in the container if it is not draining well. I have kept mine in the garage to get them started off well and will be soon bringing them outside. 


No comments:

Post a Comment